Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Fantastic Four

Inspired by the sister of one of my best friends, I’ve decided to use this blog for a more lofty purpose than just keeping family and friends updated. I want to use it as a sort of gratitude journal, too. So, on Fridays, I will try to start faithfully posting about things for which I am grateful--sort of a TGIF thing. And, even though this is only Tuesday, I’m going to start with my four wonderful kids (this topic also inspired by my friend’s sister).

You see, I have the four most wonderful kids in the world. I know that all mothers think that, but in my case, it’s really true. God has truly blessed us in this, and we are most definitely thankful that He chose to entrust these amazing kids to us. Two of them by birth, and two of them by adoption, these kids are the best part of Gene and me. Here’s why:


Ashley, my oldest, and the one most like me (although I know she doesn’t want to admit it), is the best kid in the world. Now a grown woman with a husband and two beautiful daughters of her own, she is showing me that she is indeed the strong, loving, kind, smart woman I always hoped she would be—in spite of all the mistakes we made as parents when she was growing up. Little did we know that our strong-willed, stubborn, emotional little girl would grow up to be such an extraordinary person. Seeing her turn in to this person has been amazing. Living far away from us (in North Dakota), she is making her own way in the world, in her own way. She is handling the challenges of having a daughter with autism in such a way that blows my mind—patient, understanding, strong. Although she is more than capable, I love that she still calls me for my advice and opinion about things. I am so proud of her and her little family. By the way, she, too, has the best kids in the world.


Ryan is my second child and my only son. Now 25, he is still the best kid in the world. All his life he knew he would be an artist one day. And he was right. So talented and smart! His skills and talents never cease to amaze me. He sings, he plays the guitar, he writes songs, he’s good with kids, he’s an amazing artist, he’s HILARIOUS, and most importantly, he is kind and loving. As a child he was an introvert, content to sit in his room for hours playing Nintendo and drawing. In high school, however, he blossomed into quite the extrovert, starring in several school plays and musicals. When Ryan graduated from high school, he moved out and went to San Diego (we were living in San Jose at the time). Saying goodbye to him was one of the hardest things I had ever done. But he was ready. He’s done an amazing job out on his own. After a few months in New Zealand with “Youth With a Mission,” he is now in Japan learning about the culture and trying his best to learn the language. Ever since junior high, he has wanted to do this. I’m so proud that he is actually doing it rather than just dreaming about it, so he won’t have to look back with regret, wishing he had taken some risks when he had the chance. I’m so proud of the man he has become. (It’s still so hard for me to believe that my baby boy is all grown up!)


Leah, my middle daughter. is the best kid in the world. Entering her teenage years in typical rebellious style, she can still be the sweetest, smartest, funniest child. Of course, she already knows everything, and you can’t possibly tell her something she doesn’t already know. She is a thinker, a dreamer. She truly believes that she will one day be a rock star. She is somehow wise beyond her 13 years, very deep, like she knows something we don’t know (and she isn’t about to tell us). She’s come such a long way from the little 3-year-old who always had to have someone “die” when she played Barbies or “house.” No more nightmares that cause her to wake up screaming. No more talking about fires and the “bad men.” Now she’s full of questions about sex and boys! I never knew one little girl could have so many questions! Yikes! She struggles with ADD and depression, but when she is having a good day, she is such a joy. Her big brown eyes sparkle, and her smile is so disarming. I am worried about her dating years!


Krista, my baby at 9 years old, is the best kid in the world. Full of energy at all times. She is either WAY up or WAY down, there is no in-between for her. It’s so fun to watch her when she is excited about something. Her eyes light up, and she just can’t get words out fast enough. She still can’t say her Rs, and that drives her crazy. Some people think she has an English or Irish accent (she loves that). She LOVES animals—all animals, big or small. She kisses her dogs on the lips and lets them lick her mouth, even when we remind her that they eat cat poop and their own vomit. She doesn’t care, she loves them and wants them to know it. She says things like, “Sweet mother of pearl!” (This is hilarious with her speech impediment.) She loves knock knock jokes, and thinks hers are hilarious (trust me, they’re not). A genius in math, she prints pages of problems out on the computer to do for extra credit. She’s got a soft heart when you’re hurting or sad. Her eyes will immediately tear up if she sees tears in your eyes, though she’ll deny it and insist that she’s just got something in her eye. She loves horses, dogs, Ariel, and her brother, Ryan.


Yes, my kids are the best kids in the ENTIRE world, and I am so GRATEFUL for each one of them!





6 comments:

Ryan A. said...

STOP MAING ME CRY AT SCHOOOOOL!!! ARGHHHH

I love you mom :) Glad to know Im the BEST KID IN THE WORLD! I always knew it was true.

Anonymous said...

aww... this one made me laugh AND tear up! i loved reading it.

Anonymous said...

Deb, this is truly inspiring. Reminds us to count our blessings, focus on the beauty, forgive the imperfections, and love everything in between!
Love ya,
Kathi

Ryan A. said...

what imperfections?

Patrick Jinks said...

NOW you're blogging! Most excellent!

Patrick Jinks said...

NOW you're blogging! Most excellent!