Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I LOVE Christmas! I love everything about it, from the brightly colored lights and decorations to the traditional music and shopping for the kids.
Wait, I lied—there is actually one thing that I don’t like about Christmas—wrapping presents. Ugh! I think it’s because I feel such pressure to wrap them perfectly. Mine must be the most beautifully-wrapped presents.
I’m not sure how or when it happened. When did I decide that I have to be the best present wrapper? The same thing happened to me in school. Somewhere along the line, I decided that I HAD to get straight A’s. Everyone expected it. It was the “thing” I was known for. The other kids in the family were “funny” or “talented” or “cute” or “a good cook”, but when I heard my mom talk to other people about me, it was always, “Deb gets straight A’s in school.” And so, I felt the pressure. I couldn’t let people down. I still carry that around with me when I take a college course. Pathetic, I know.
And so, people have complimented my present wrapping prowess, which puts pressure on me to wrap each one perfectly. Not just at Christmas, mind you. I do this for birthdays, too. It’s so stressful!
As you can see, Krista obviously does not suffer from this affliction. Here are three presents she bought for Leah and wrapped herself.
But other than wrapping presents, I LOVE Christmas! Much of our garage is taken up with crates and boxes full of Christmas decorations. Each year, we bring them in the house and go through them like kids, thrilled to rediscover forgotten treasures. We have spent almost 30 years collecting special ornaments, and it's so much fun to open them and put them on our tree. Ryan calls me the Christmas tree Nazi, because I have to have the tree decorated "just right" too. I say, "Pooh!" I like a nicely-decorated tree.
And, as much as Gene complains about putting up lights outside, I know he enjoys seeing our house lit up at night with our red and white lights—each light carefully positioned so that they are all facing the same direction of course. Beautiful! 
And, most importantly, I love the fact that the girls love to put out the manger scene each year. They used to make me sing “Little Drummer Boy” when we put out the figurines. But we don’t do that anymore.
I remember when Carla was sick, she was working on a book about her life for Kelby. One of the writing prompts was, “Some of my favorite Christmas traditions are. . . “ Sadly, she couldn’t think of any traditions that she did with her kids, and was bummed. She asked me if I had any. Here are some of the ones I mentioned:
Carla couldn’t believe how many traditions we had, and was bummed to realize that she hadn’t really established any special traditions with her kids. It really made me realize how important it was. I hope this inspires you to start or continue Christmas traditions. The memories are priceless. I'd love to hear other ideas for traditions, too!
Enjoy the holiday!
Friday, December 07, 2007
It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
your house is always decorated so darn cute. i love the swag over the doorway!
we do the same thing with the kids getting their own ornaments each year (my mom buys them), but i never thought about having their own ornament boxes! what a great idea... i'm totally gonna do that.
i love uncle gene's fudge!!! is the recipe a secret? :)
LOL Yeah it's that secret you can only find on the back of the Marshmallow Cream jar :)
Did you guys get a new tree? It looks huge! Our tree is so dinky.
We pretty much have all the same traditions cause I'm the Christmas Nazi and have to do everything like we did when we were kids :)
trying to think if we do anything new... I don't think so. the tree, the ornaments, the pjs, the cinnamon rolls, the wrapping paper, night before christmas, ooh stockings first then open presents, that's one you forgot. I didn't realize that things as simple as opening your gifts Christmas morning was a tradition until I got married to a guy who thought we should open gifts on Christmas eve. Then I had to put my foot down :) It's my way or the high way when it comes to Christmas. One thing I can say, I love how Eric loves Christmas. It's very endearing.
Love you!
i have to say, that is one huge candle that poor girl is lugging around there.
Christmas hasn't been quite the same for us for several years now. We really only have one main tradition, and that is that we use only white lights and red balls (and ribbons) on the tree. We allow a little gold, but not much more.
I sure remember our childhood traditions though. Miss 'em.
Post a Comment