Friday, November 21, 2008

TGIF - My Grandchildren

I have the most amazing grandchildren. I know every grandparent thinks that, but in my case, it's true. I know this even though I don't get to see them very often. In fact, I've never even met my only grandson, Alex. But I still know they're the best grandkids in the world.

Our oldest granddaughter, Jenna, sent us a most lovely letter last week. Apparently she has been sick lately (according to her well-written letter). She even drew one of her famous pictures, which was a nice surprise. And Marah, who is four, also sent us a beautiful, hand-drawn picture.

We are hoping to see them again next Spring, and I can't wait to meet Alex. I hate that I'm missing his newborn months. Those are such precious times. But Ashley keeps us posted on his progress with her fantastic blog, where she posts lots of pictures, so we don't get too depressed about not living near them.

And Ashley calls me and tells me all about what's going on with them as they grow. I can't believe Jenna is already eight years old! Time is rushing by, and they are growing up way too fast.

So, while I'm bummed that I don't get to watch them grow up, and that they don't really know their Nana and Papa, I'm thankful that they are healthy and well-loved. And maybe one day they'll move closer, so we can really "know" them. I can always dream.

5 comments:

Ash said...

we can't wait to see you guys! I'm going to try really hard to remember to have the kids send you stuff in the mail more often too.

All I can say is thank God for the internet and digital cameras and cell phones and "mycircle" :) We are lucky to have access to all this stuff otherwise life so far apart would be a lot more depressing.

we love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about not being able to see your grandkids grow up. I have had the same problem. I always wanted to be able to have my grandchildren visit and hope they loved me as much as I love them. NOPE. It is not to be.I still love them.

erin said...

awww... i know that same stuff is hard on my own mom! thank goodness for the internet!! my mom says that sometimes she'll just look through my blog and cry b/c she misses them so much (what about ME, huh??? lol).

anyway, you are right...your grandkids are awesome. i wish i knew them better too!

Patrick Jinks said...

It's still odd to think of you as a Grandma! Sheesh! It probably won't be long before I'm a Grandpa!

Beth said...

Hi Debby! It was a really nice break for us at Thanksgiving this year. My kids were all out of state for the holiday...two went to Utah to spend the holiday with their sister and my youngest is in Jacksonville in the Navy going to school. So it worked for us.

We got a lot done...but our bodies feel it too!