It's actually Thursday night, but I'm feeling thankful early. Almost exactly one week ago, I woke up in the recovery room after having laparoscopic gall bladder removal surgery. I love the woozy feeling of waking up from anesthesia. But it didn't take long for the pain to break through that warm, fuzzy feeling. YIKES! I wasn't expecting it to be so painful. The nurse gave me two Percocet, and told me that I'd get a good night's sleep now.
NOT! It was a very long and sleepless night. My mouth was so dry, my lip kept getting stuck above my teeth (a very attractive look). I couldn't wait for the required 4 hours to be up so that I could take some Vicodin. Although that helped some, it wasn't much relief.
On Tuesday, I called my doctor, because I was concerned that I was still in so much pain after five days. I mean, everyone else I've talked to who have had this surgery have recovered much more quickly. What's wrong with me? The nurse reassured me that it was completely normal to still be feeling so much pain, especially since there was significant inflammation. But it is not normal to have so much breakthrough pain while taking Vicodin, so she recommended Percocet, a stronger drug. Bring it on! I couldn't wait to get that miracle drug! The next day, Gene picked it up, and I happily took one and settled in for a nice, pain-free nap.
No such luck.
I tried taking a second one, just to get things started on the new drug.
Nothing.
Argghhhh!!!!
It reminded me of when I was about 13, and I had a REALLY sore throat. My dad told me he was going to pick up some really great throat spray that would take the pain away. I clung to the hope of this amazing spray taking away the horrible pain. The next hour went by at an excruciatingly slow pace as I waited for Dad to come back. When he finally came in my room and sprayed the miracle elixir in my mouth, I almost threw up! It was horrible! And it didn't help my sore throat AT ALL! Wha!!!!!????? Oh, what a disappointment! To this day I hate Chloraseptic.
So, I'm going to pick up a refill for my Vicodin tomorrow. It's been a long week.
But here are some things I'm thankful for as this week comes to a blessed close:
- I've been sleeping A LOT. It's been nice to get that kind of rest. It's been YEARS since I've slept so well.
- The girls have been so sweet (to me, to Gene, and even to each other - a little).
- I've lost four more pounds for a total of 16 since this whole gall bladder thing started.
- Gene has been able to take a full week off of work, and he has been VERY helpful. He even made me a stepstool to help me get into my high bed easier. I love it!
I'm ready to feel better now, please.
7 comments:
Mom, I'm so glad that you're trying to look for the good things in the midst of feeling so miserable! I feel so bad that you've been in so much pain :( How awful! Another thing to be grateful for is having children who are old enough to help themselves for the most part. Because man, if I were that incapacitated, I don't know what I would do!!!
Yay for more weight loss! One of the best things about not feeling well, right? :) Maybe getting sick would get me past this little plateau! No, not really, I do NOT want to be sick. Not at all. No, no, no!
Do these pain killers have anti-inflamatory agents? I don't remember how those work. They don't just dull the pain, do they? Cause maybe some good old motrin mixed in there would help if that's the case? I don't know...
Well, I love you. I hope you feel better soon. I wish I could come help you out.
Hi Aunt Debby! I'm grateful for the things you're thankful for! How sweet they are. I'm also thankful that you are recovering, though it may seem slow, it's "surely." We pray for you :)
As I read your post, I was thinking the same thing Ashley mentioned... "good old Motrin"... I hope that by the time you read my comment you're much much better, not just getting by. I love you and am glad to learn you're not being stubborn through this, but resting the way you should to recover quickly and thoroughly.
Sorry I've been so engrossed in what's happening in our family that I haven't even read anyone else's blog until today! Sorry you were in so much pain, that STINKS!
I'm praying for a complete recovery sooner rather than later!
Love,
Carly
P.S. Thanks for your prayers for us, we really need them. We have a long road ahead of us.
dang. sorry you're in so much pain, but glad uncle gene and the kids are doing everything they can for you. love you.
wish i could help :(
when i took vicadin it didnt help me either unless i took other junk with it.
and mom if you want that whoozy feeling again, just drink. its AMAZING :)
Debby, Hope you are better...I have probs with pain meds...codeine makes me puke...vicodin gives me a headache, but darvocet, oh sweet, darvocet really took the pain away!!! wheeee.
You have a great attitude girl..and yay on the weightloss!
Post a Comment