It certainly wasn't a phone call I was expecting, but, in a strange way, it wasn't a surprise, either. Poor Stacey. She knew she should call me to tell me the news, but I could tell it was hard for her to actually say the words. Danny Vega died in his sleep the weekend after Thanksgiving. Apparently, he had been living with significant blockage in a main artery to his heart for quite some time (I think that was it--frankly, the phone call was a blur). So sad.
Danny Joe Vega was not your average Joe. He was "different." Full of joy, really. Full of potential. It's so sad that he made some critical mistakes several years ago. Mistakes that changed the lives of his entire family. Mistakes that he could never make up for. But in the last few years of his life, I think he was really trying to make up for them. And, in a lot of ways, I think he was successful.
I'm so thankful that his kids were able to find forgiveness, and to build a relationship with him. James worked especially hard at it. He never gave up on Danny. But Stacey. . . it was hard for her. She was bitter. Forgiveness didn't come easy to her. But, it did come, finally. And I'm so glad for her.
Danny's memorial service was just like Danny--unique. . . funny. Lots of stories about his creative use of duct tape and rope, and his unique style of discipline. Gene and I have many fond memories of spending time with Carla and Danny in the early years. Lots of laughter, lots of joy raising our kids together. It's so nice to see our kids so close to Carla's kids still. I never had that with any of my cousins, and it's special to watch.
Putting together the slideshow for the service brought those memories flooding back, and I found myself sitting here at my computer with tears streaming down my face as I looked at all the photos of Danny and Carla. They were so happy back then. It's so hard to believe they're both gone.
But they had some amazing kids. Strong, beautiful kids. And they would have been so proud of those kids at the service. Such strength and grace! I'm so blessed to call them my nieces and nephews.
Here's the slideshow that was played at the service. You'll be missed, Danny!
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Remembering Danny Vega
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow.
what a sweet blog. thank you, aunt debby.
Wow, Aunt Debby! I sooo needed that cry right now! Thank you! Thanks for posting that! What a great slide show, what a super nice blog! Love you!
Really makes me wish I could remember times with him.
Apparently I don't have your blog address correct on my list so I hadn't noticed that you had been updating. I'm sorry!
This was really great Mom. So many great memories, such great pictures. What a wonderful tribute. That photo of Adam and Ben and Uncle Danny is so great! My funniest memory is when he was staying with us in Santee for a few days and he tried to make cookies with ingredients we had lying around the kitchen, like Cream of Wheat LOL They weren't very good but we had fun making them!
Post a Comment