Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reflections of 2010

Well, we're already into the second month of 2011, and I'm finally getting around to making a blog post. There are lots of things I could write about. In fact, there are so many that I really had a hard time making a decision. Should I write about my most embarrassing moments, as Ashley challenged me to do? Should the post be funny, sad, factual, emotional? I finally decided to make it a reflective post. After all, it's the start of a new year (sort of). I wanted to take stock of what happened in our lives in 2010, just so I don't forget.

So, here are the higlights (and lowlights) of our year last year:

January: I passed my real estate exam! Leah turned 16, and Krista turned 12. They are turning into beautiful young women (too soon)! Aunt Linda came to visit, and we had Tim Tam Slams. Gene and I celebrated (well, "celebrated" is not actually what we did--maybe "marked") our 32nd wedding anniversary. It's so strange to think that my parents had been married 39 years when my dad died. That seemed so far off for me, and now, here we are at 32 (actually 33 now)!



February: Gene turned 53. Again, it just doesn't seem possible that I've known this guy for almost 33 years. And he's still as handsome as ever! We contacted Leah's birth mother and began communicating with her via e-mail. It was a difficult decision, but we decided that Leah was old enough to start getting to know her from a distance. It's progressed a lot since then! More on that in a later post.

March: Ryan turned 28. Now THAT'S absolutely crazy! My baby boy is truly a grown man (and has been for several years now)! Since he was in Japan, we couldn't celebrate the day with him. He's been there for too long! Leah had her second hernia surgery right before Spring Break. Poor thing. She handled it really well, but had to be pulled out of P.E. and Dance at school.

April: My neck and back had been hurting for a couple of months at this point, and I finally decided to go to the doctor to hopefully get some relief. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. MRI and X-rays showed some minor problems that I guess all added up to be a major problem, but nothing that they could really fix. So I continued to suffer. Tried physical therapy with no success. Not a good month. : (

May: Our dear friend, Garyn, got married. It was a beautiful wedding. She is happy. I'm glad.

June: I joined Keller Williams Realty in La Mesa. I have a lot to learn. Our beautiful granddaughter, Jenna, turned 10 this month. Holy Smokes! I sure wish I could see her more often than we do. We started planning to go to Scott and Chloe's wedding in the hopes that Ashley and her family could also go. It would be great to see them, especially for such a happy occasion. Krista started playing volleyball in the Starlings league. This was the beginning of a very busy season!


July: Ryan came home from Japan after being gone for a year! It was such a wonderful surprise. Starlings continued. Leah took summer school, and Krista went to church camp (she didn't enjoy herself). Trying to learn as much as I can about real estate while working full-time at Kratos as an Instructional Designer. This was a very busy month!

August: Held my first open house. It went really well. Got a couple of leads that still haven't panned out, but at this point, I was very hopeful. Leah started practicing for the El Capitan Junior Varsity volleyball team.

September: Blessed school! Our beautiful granddaughter, Marah, turned 6! And, our adorable grandson, Alex, turned 2! On a sad note, Carla has been gone 7 years. Time has flown. Also, Leah's best friend from middle school, Moriah, unfortunately committed suicide this month. Her memorial service was beautiful, as was she. I hate that she was in so much pain that she couldn't see how many people loved her. She has left a huge hole in the lives of a lot of people.

October: Our oldest daughter, Ashley, turned 31. Oh my goodness! We feel old. I was laid off work, which was a little scary, but I was also excited, because now I can focus on real estate. NOT! I almost immediately got a consulting job, which has kept me very busy ever since! God is good. We didn't make it to Scott & Chloe's wedding. After being laid off, I just couldn't justify spending the money. We were sad.

November: My birthday. Thanksgiving. We got a new puppy from Stacey. We named her Connelly. She was so adorable, but she really caused a lot of stress in our home. As much as we loved her, it was in everyone's best interest to let Stacey take her back and give her to her boyfriend's brother. We miss her, but our home is back to "normal." Ryan's girlfriend, Ai, came to visit from Japan. We didn't get to see her very much, but we loved her right away. Ryan's planning to go back to Japan in March. He plans to stay for 3 months. After that, who knows. . . ? : )



December: It was a relatively quiet Christmas season for us. Dad's been gone for 16 years. That's so unbelievable. Every Christmas Eve, I take a little time to just think about what a wonderful father he was, and how thankful I am that God gave me him for a dad. He is truly missed.

So, that's our year in a nutshell. All in all not a bad year. God continues to pour out His blessings on us in spite of our failings. It is my sincere desire to do a better job of following Him this year.

Oh, and I'm going to TRY to start blogging more often, but I make no promises. : )

Happy New Year (sort of)!



6 comments:

The Family of Logo said...

I absolutely love how you brought everything together for an entire year! How on EARTH did you do that?! I feel I have to blog at least once a month! Man! I love you Aunt Deb.

Ashley said...

The kids haven't gotten your Valentines yet :( I'm sure they'll come soon.
Great job blogging 2010! I've missed reading your blogs. I feel like now that I'm on Facebook that blogging can seem a bit redundant but I'm trying to be more simple in what I blog, not worry about posting every photo/detail or getting it JUST right, and doing it more often. It's tough though!

Ryan A. said...

hey its about time!

Beth said...

Love the post and catching up on your year, your family! I have been trying to be better about my blog posts,too.

Beth said...

Hey Debbie, thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for the sweet compliment. You can read my articles online at www.clairemont.com (they are under editorials).

I have written three articles so far (Jan and Feb are published and the March will be published on March 1st) The papers are delivered the first of the month to folks who live in Clairemont. I am having fun with it!

Garyn said...

i JUST saw this :) Loved the refection of 2010. And what you said for may was very sweet :)I still cant believe how old the girls are getting and how grown up they look!