Friday, December 21, 2007

Reflecting on 2007

As 2007 comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on some of the more memorable events of the year. Here are the top ten--some good and some not so good, but all memorable:

1. Leah became a teenager on January 3rd. This is memorable because she truly did become a teenager in every way. Suddenly she became such a smart-aleck. Don't get me wrong, she's always been a little know-it-all, but she is at a whole new level now. Thankfully, she can also be very sweet and generous at times, so it's not all bad. And, I've been through this twice already, so I know it will pass. Unfortunately, I have another one coming up right behind her!
2. Gene turned 50! It's so hard to believe that it's been over 30 years since we met. He's still the handsomest man I know.
3. Gene's mom passed away after a freak accident. The unexpected phone call came in April. She had fallen off a stage and hit her head on concrete. She never woke up. We were thankful that we got to drive out to Louisiana and be with the rest of the family as we reflected on her life. We also got a chance to stop and see my mom and brother on our way back home. I'm very thankful for that.

4. The Rock church dedicated the new children's wing in Carla's name in November. All of her kids were there to see her honored for her passion and hard work in getting Pebbles Pathway going strong. The new building is beautiful. I know Carla would be pleased.
5. Ryan came home in November after spending six months in Japan. We missed him terribly, and were so glad to have him back safe and sound. I know that someday he'll probably leave the San Diego area for good, but for now, it's nice to have him close again. I sure wish Ashley's family lived closer, though.
6. It may sound silly, but getting our new puppy, Bennett, was one of the highlights of the year. She is so adorable. She has mannerisms like "Babe," the pig. She leans forward, lifts her nose up in the air and sniffs, and it looks like she's thinking, "Baa, ram, ewe!" We love her already.
7. Although it was under sad circumstances, it was so nice to see Debbie and John Drake again. I've known Debbie and her twin sister, Angie, since high school. Over the years, we've stayed in touch and we get together every now and then. Last month, Debbie and Angie's mom had a massive heart attack that ultimately took her life. This obviously brought Debbie and her family out from Idaho. We had a wonderful visit with her and her kids and daughter-in-law. Debbie and John are the kind of people that you can just pick up where you left off even if it's been a couple of years since you got together.
8. Krista learned how to say her "R's"! She's still working on fine-tuning, but she's worked very hard for several years, and this year she has made tremendous progress. This was the last sound she had to learn to say correctly. Looks like this will be her last year having to be pulled out for speech in school. Very exciting stuff. I have to say, though, that in a way, it's a little sad to lose that last little part of her that made her a "little girl." She's growing up so fast!
9. The wildfires in October really made me think about what's important. While we were glued to the television, watching house after house burn, I realized that, if my house burned down, it really wouldn't be devastating. As long as my family was safe, that would be enough. I don't think I would have felt that way before Carla died. I look at everything differently now. I treasure family much more now.
10. And finally, having two blood transfusions and one iron transfusion (oh yeah, and a hysterectomy) is certainly something I won't forget. I will get another blood test in about a week to see if my anemia is under control, but I am feeling much better, and I'm looking forward to having more energy and strength so that I can get out and get some exercise next year. I'm so tired of feeling tired!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and that 2008 brings you joy and many happy memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you do!

Love you,

Me

me said...

nice blog mom :) i laughed, I cried. oh and I blogged. love you!

Patrick Jinks said...

Wow! Quite a year. Great recap. I didn't know Krista had learned to say her Rs. That's awesome! I remember when Mandy finally got 'em. I should document our year in review as well. I'll have to think about it. Love you all!

pj