Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The "Chargers"

I think (translated "hope") that Krista has found her calling. She has tried dance and gymnastics with limited success, but she recently signed up for volleyball through the Boys & Girls Club and seems to really like it. And, for a new player, she's actually pretty good--especially at serving.

Her team name is "Chargers," which isn't very original, but their jersey colors inspired the name. It's funny, because the name certainly doesn't fit the way they play. They all (well, most) seem to hope the ball doesn't come to them. All of the "10 and under" teams are that way. So, the games can be rather boring. They go something like this: Serve, point - serve, point - serve, point - serve, point - serve, point - switch sides - serve, point . . .

Every once in awhile they actually return the ball, so then it's serve, return, point. But it rarely goes more than that. But by the 7th and 8th games, there was a lot more of this than the first several games, and it had just started to get interesting when the season was over (they only played 9 games).

Okay, and here's the embarrassing part; when the coach was handing out the trophies, he said a little something about each girl, describing each one before he actually said the name. So, he said stuff like, "This girl improved the most over the season. She really came out of her shell and started making great plays. Who do you think that is? That's right, it's Maya!" And here's what he said about Krista: "OK, who do you guys think gave me the most attitude throughout the season?" And here's where everyone pointed to Krista. "Why is everyone pointing at Krista?" the coach asked. "You're right, it's Krista!" Then he handed her the trophy. Yikes! And here's the kicker - she was proud!


The fall season starts in October, and I think both girls are going to play this time. Gene and I really enjoy going to the games. We miss going to Ashley's and Ryan's softball games (we enjoyed that more than they did, unfortunately), so it's cool to do something like this with the girls.

Here are some photos and video clips.




"Chargers on three, Chargers on three!"

Krista serving


"Rotate!"


This one is funny, because there's no ball in the picture, but they're all looking up, so it's up there somewhere.

Oops!

"Good game, good game, good game . . . "

Krista gets a good hit in this video clip (she's in the bottom right corner):

Krista serving (this is a good example of the "serve, point" concept):

Another good hit by Krista:

Good times!

6 comments:

Ryan A. said...

"OK, who do you guys think gave me the most attitude throughout the season?" And here's where everyone pointed to Krista. "Why is everyone pointing at Krista?" the coach asked. "You're right, it's Krista!" Then he handed her the trophy. Yikes! And here's the kicker - she was proud!

baaaahahahahaha





hahahahahaha


no seriously. hilarious.

Ash said...

wow... that's hilarious and not at the same time!

And holy moly Krista looks so old in that first picture! And so pretty! Did you have copies of that one? I would love to have one.

debby said...

I realized after I wrote this that the trophy story sounded worse than it was. The "attitude" was really just a teasing relationship Krista and Rob (the coach) had with each other. It was all in fun (at least to Krista--I'm not sure the coach always thought so). But it was still embarrassing that her "specialness" was that she gave him the most attitude. Jeesh!

And I didn't buy more than the one photo of Krista and one of her team, but I'll send you the scan if you want, Ash.

Ash said...

yeah scan it high res for me so I can scrap it for you

Beth said...

I think that is great that they are playing volleyball and liking it..."think college scholarship"! Great pics and videos!

Patrick Jinks said...

Awesome blog posting! Go Krista! I was so proud watching these!