Friday, September 26, 2008

Five Years

It seems like just months ago—and yet, it seems like an eternity. Five years. My mind can’t fully take it in. I woke up this morning (did I even sleep?) with the same crushing feeling that I felt every morning during the painful weeks and months after “the diagnosis.”

With Carla on my mind, I got up and took out my “Carla Memory Box.” A small, metal, off-white box with her photo on the front. It holds my special mementos and photos of her. This has become my annual ritual since her death. As I open the box, and pause over each photo and card, memories come flooding back. Tears pour down my face. My head hurts, my heart aches. It’s somehow overwhelming, and comforting at the same time.

Those memories sustain me when the pain of missing her becomes almost unbearable. Cherished memories of my sister and best friend growing up. What a wonderful childhood we had! We talked often about how thankful we were for our family—how lucky we were to have such strong, wise, caring parents and funny, smart, and talented siblings.





Fond memories of raising our families together. Helping each other through marital problems. Taking for granted that we were blessed beyond measure. Never thinking for a moment that it could all end at any time.

I’m so thankful for all the memories I have of her. And I’m thankful for her legacy—her beautiful kids. But her legacy goes beyond her own kids. Her life has had an effect on so many other kids through her work in the Children’s Ministry at the Rock Church.

Oh, how I wish I could go back and work with her in Pebbles Pathway! But God had other plans—plans that would challenge me to the very core of my being. Taking over as the Director changed my life forever. I never imagined how her death would bring me so much heartache and so much joy at the same time. Some of my most precious memories make up those two incredible and challenging years. Amazing growth—personally, spiritually, and professionally. Amazing friendships forged. Amazing memories stored up.

On the first anniversary of her death, we had “Children’s Ministry Sunday” at church. We played this slideshow in her honor.



When I think of all the kids and ministry workers who will continue her legacy at the various churches around the county and even the country, I am overcome with a melancholy sense of hope. Who knows how that will play out in the years to come—how many future generations will be impacted by her work?

What an amazing person she was. What a wonderful friend.

Love to all her beautiful kids today. And to my siblings. And to my mom. And to all the friends who loved her and miss her.

9 comments:

Nick said...

As I sit here with tears streaming down my face...I just wanted to share my thoughts. I'm one of those people who was impacted by Carla without her even being there. My first week in Pebbles was her first week not in Pebbles. As I watched this video, happy tears poured down my face because of the amazing legacy that Carla DID leave. Today, I can place most of the blue shirts in that video and say with confidence that they have all gone on to spread the gospel of Jesus to more kids around the world. I may never have met Carla personally, but I can't help but feel this connection to the URGENCY and DETERMINATION that she had for leading kids to the Lord before they get scooped up by the world. God Bless the Clements/Vega/Andrews family. I love you guys! And God Bless Carla's Legacy!

Beth said...

I have wonderful memories of Carla and lots of them are of laughter, laughing with Carla. We met in high school became friends and I began attending the same church. We remained friends through our marriages and our kids growing up together. I miss her and am thankful for her love and friendship.

Ash said...

oh, i just miss her... so many happy memories with her, and I can't recall ever being angry with her. It's all just happy and full of love. I just loved her so much. Thanks for sharing that video mom, it reminds me of the importance of leaving that kind of legacy myself.

i love you.

Unknown said...

wow what an amazing video. Totally agree with JM, even though I never met Carla, its amazing to see her legacy live on in the lives of so many volunteeres who were apart of her ministry.

Seeing all those Camp Iwillagoway sets....and kids I used to teach, reminded me of what an amazing ministry Pebbles Pathway is.

erin said...

i can't get over how much carla looks like kelby in these.

we all miss her so much... so many times we think about how much she would have loved seeing our kids grow and i know i would have loved hearing about how they compare to adam as a child. little stuff like that.

i miss her laugh. she was always so full of life. she was definitely the mother-in-law that everyone hopes for.

Anonymous said...

I was just remembering also how Aunt Carla had hugs for everyone. Even people she just met. She treated you like she knew you for years from the day she met you. I loved that about her.

Melissa Running It said...

Oh my... I am so glad the mailman has come for the day, the UPS guy dropped off his delivery, and no one else is at the office so I can blubber away.

I loved coming to 'The Loft' to find Carla there nice and early as well - it was a treasure to have that time with her every morning before ministry got too busy. I learned SO MUCH from her and the Lord used her mightily in my marriage as well. I loved that she was always the one to go toe-to-toe with Miles or anyone else, that you always got the truth from her, that she always had tissues in her Bible....I could go on and on.

Legacy isn't even the right word for what she left behind.

Love you all - m

Laura Miller said...

wow...five years? that's insane....sorta feels like yesterday we were sitting in her living room, but then it sort of feels like twenty years ago.

Patrick Jinks said...

Dang.