Friday, September 12, 2008

TGIF - Freedom

With the upcoming election and the anniversary of 9-11, I've been thinking a lot about how blessed I am to be an American. Here is my list of things to be thankful for this week:

Sarah Palin - not for what many would probably think would be the obvious reason for a Republican; I don't necessarily think she's the best choice for a Vice-Presidential running mate. No, I'm thankful for her because she has definitely got people talking and thinking a little more about voting. And I hope more people will vote in this election. It's pathetic how many people don't vote and take the right for granted.

Non-judgmental Democrats (and Republicans for that matter) - for having respect for other points of view and having the decency to disagree without putting opposing opinions down. I don't expect us all to agree, but it's not helpful to twist words and take quotes out of context. I see that happening on both sides and in the media, and with people I know. And it amazes me that people I thought were so intelligent are stooping to this level. It makes me very thankful for those rare people who can just have a conversation about politics and share their views without trying to make you feel stupid if you disagree.

Patriotism - I love hearing stories of people (like John McCain) who put their very lives on the line for their country (or for the rights of people in other countries). And, although I disagree with a lot of his stances, I think Barack Obama truly loves this country and wants to do what's best for it.

Freedom - For all its shortcomings, we still live in the greatest country in the world, and I'm thankful that all those judgmental Democrats (and Republicans) still have the right to make fun of people who have different opinions. But I still wish they would stop.

2 comments:

Ash said...

Ah I totally relate to much of your post :)

The judgemental thing goes both ways in politics and it makes me absolutely crazy! I've told you about Eric's dad... with the election looming it seems that everytime we get together he has to bring up politics and how horrible Obama is. It really has gotten to the point of making me angry. And I'm not really even all that passionate about politics.

I understand feeling very strongly about something, but I also feel that we all have the right to think for ourselves and make a choice based on what we feel would be best for us and our country. Some people feel that person is Obama, some feel it is McCain, some feel it is neither... and I understand all those viewpoints. The wonderful thing about living in a democracy is that we all have the privilege of being free to have our own opinions on the subject. Why do people have to try to make those with opposing points of view feel like they are choosing the anti-christ or something.

What I do know is that it's an amazing time to be able to vote. One that feels heavily weighted with this incredible responsibility to choose the right candidate and it's really almost overwhelming. I'm both excited and afraid for this election but what makes me feel good is seeing not only my own self come around and discover an interest in politics but my husband, who I never would have thought would become so passionate about it! :)

I just wish more people would realize that neither candidate is going to be perfect. Neither is going to be able to fix all the issues our country is facing right now, and we might elect someone who sorely disappoints us in the end, it happens... and it could happen with either of these two men in the President's seat. It's just something we will have to find out for ourselves.

I realize I've written my own blog here LOL but it's something that has been on my mind a lot lately as well, especially when seeing my father-in-law as often as I have lately! One of his favorite arguments with Eric and myself is "Well, we don't know everything." and "You can't believe everything you hear." and it's gotten on our last nerve, so now Eric uses it against him as well, and it's pretty funny. Seriously though, what a ridiculous argument... can't you come up with anything better? geesh

me said...

i got your package yesterday. Thank you soooo much! You're the best :) Love you!