Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stuff I've Been Thinkin' About Lately

I rarely watched "Meet the Press" on Sunday mornings. I'd like to say that it's because I went to church, but the truth is that it is because I have difficulty keeping up with politics. But I watched it occasionally, and Tim Russert always reminded me of my brother, Patrick. Not so much in looks (although a little bit), but in his personality. He was so smart and well-spoken. He was tough, but fair in his interviews.

And, when I saw him being interviewed on various news programs, his sense of humor totally reminded me of Patrick. His passion for his job, and his patriotism also reminded me of Patrick. The way he talked about his dad with such respect, his wife with devotion, and his son with pride--you guessed it--a lot like Patrick.

Like many people across the country, I was shocked and saddened to hear about Tim Russert's early death. For some reason, I have spent hours watching the various tributes to him. In fact, right now, I'm watching his memorial service. Mario Cuomo is speaking. People have been telling humorous stories about Tim and talking about the type of friend, husband, father, and leader he was. How excited he was to go to work and get busy. How he was never too busy to give advice--and how wise that advice was. How thankful he was to have his dream job. How, even though he was clearly a workaholic, his family always came first. They have spoken about his strong faith in God, and his solid sense of honor and understanding of right and wrong.

So, I've been thinking about how rare it is to know someone so amazing. And I realize how blessed I am to not only know such a someone, but he's my brother! How lucky am I?

3 comments:

Ryan A. said...

mom you messed up and put the same picture up twice.

that was sarcasm by the way.

Laura Miller said...

they sort of look alike. in the eyes.

Patrick Jinks said...

Ok, we look absolutely nothing alike, so I belted out laughing pretty hard when I saw the picture comparison.

That being said, holy moly! What an honor that you would devote a posting like this to me (will Russert, but me too). I am so humbled that you think such things of me. I can't say I know much about Russert (except for the fact that he is a political liberal), but if these are the characteristics that make you think of me, then I must doing pretty dang good!