Every year I say that I’m not going to make any resolutions. And, every year, I find myself thinking about fresh starts and making a mental list of all the things I need to improve in my life. I look back on the previous year and realize that I really didn’t accomplish much. As I get older, this is more and more depressing to admit. But, I’m still an optimist at heart. I still think that I can change even though history seems to contradict this idea. So, here it is, the first day of 2008, and I just can’t help making a few resolutions in spite of my resolution not to. Here’s my list:
1. This is ALWAYS my first resolution—lose weight. Unfortunately, the specific number of pounds I intend to lose each year has increased steadily over the years. This year, it’s a whopping 75! But I’ll be happy with 40. Of course, more importantly, I just want to feel healthy, so eating healthy and exercising more are wrapped up in this resolution, too. Right now, I’m feeling good about this one because I walked for 20 minutes this morning and drank 7 cups of water (yuck!) and I even ate oatmeal for breakfast! One day down, 364 to go. Ugghhh!
2. Number two is to get organized. My garage is jam-packed full of JUNK! I have boxes and boxes of stuff that I have not used or displayed in years. It’s really ridiculous. Today, I started by organizing my kitchen pantry. I keep going in the kitchen and opening the pantry doors and just reveling in my neatly organized shelves.
3. Gene and I want to get involved in church again. Not sure if it will be children’s ministry, but it probably will be. I do miss it. Of course, first we need to find a church. Details, details.
4. It would be really nice if I could finally figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I’m thinking seriously about getting a real estate license. If the housing market hadn’t taken a nosedive, I probably would have already done it. But I’m going to a seminar in a couple of weeks to find out if it would be a good move. Exciting stuff.
5. I need to do a better job of staying in touch with family and friends. I know, I know, you’re probably thinking, “I’ll believe it when I see it.” You all know that I’m really bad about not calling or writing. This blog was actually a step toward improving communication, but I realize that it’s not the same, so I have resolved to call people more often this year. Feel free to hold me accountable on this one.
6. Photogenic I’m not. In fact, if there were a word for “the opposite of photogenic,” that would be me. And, it’s not getting any better as I get older and fatter! But I am going to try really hard to let Gene take more photos of me. Maybe I’ll even post some here. This may seem like a silly new year’s resolution, but it’s something I’ve struggled with all my life. I just HATE seeing pictures of myself. Carla used to tease me about this, saying, “You’re going out in public looking like that, so why won’t you let people take your picture? A picture doesn’t change what you look like.” . . . WHATEVER—so I’m going to work on this.
7. Last, but not least, I am going to work (again) on being a kinder, gentler mom and wife. This one is self-explanatory, so I’ll just leave it at that.
So, those are my resolutions for 2008. What are some of yours?
1. This is ALWAYS my first resolution—lose weight. Unfortunately, the specific number of pounds I intend to lose each year has increased steadily over the years. This year, it’s a whopping 75! But I’ll be happy with 40. Of course, more importantly, I just want to feel healthy, so eating healthy and exercising more are wrapped up in this resolution, too. Right now, I’m feeling good about this one because I walked for 20 minutes this morning and drank 7 cups of water (yuck!) and I even ate oatmeal for breakfast! One day down, 364 to go. Ugghhh!
2. Number two is to get organized. My garage is jam-packed full of JUNK! I have boxes and boxes of stuff that I have not used or displayed in years. It’s really ridiculous. Today, I started by organizing my kitchen pantry. I keep going in the kitchen and opening the pantry doors and just reveling in my neatly organized shelves.
3. Gene and I want to get involved in church again. Not sure if it will be children’s ministry, but it probably will be. I do miss it. Of course, first we need to find a church. Details, details.
4. It would be really nice if I could finally figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I’m thinking seriously about getting a real estate license. If the housing market hadn’t taken a nosedive, I probably would have already done it. But I’m going to a seminar in a couple of weeks to find out if it would be a good move. Exciting stuff.
5. I need to do a better job of staying in touch with family and friends. I know, I know, you’re probably thinking, “I’ll believe it when I see it.” You all know that I’m really bad about not calling or writing. This blog was actually a step toward improving communication, but I realize that it’s not the same, so I have resolved to call people more often this year. Feel free to hold me accountable on this one.
6. Photogenic I’m not. In fact, if there were a word for “the opposite of photogenic,” that would be me. And, it’s not getting any better as I get older and fatter! But I am going to try really hard to let Gene take more photos of me. Maybe I’ll even post some here. This may seem like a silly new year’s resolution, but it’s something I’ve struggled with all my life. I just HATE seeing pictures of myself. Carla used to tease me about this, saying, “You’re going out in public looking like that, so why won’t you let people take your picture? A picture doesn’t change what you look like.” . . . WHATEVER—so I’m going to work on this.
7. Last, but not least, I am going to work (again) on being a kinder, gentler mom and wife. This one is self-explanatory, so I’ll just leave it at that.
So, those are my resolutions for 2008. What are some of yours?

8 comments:
Hi!! I just stumbled across your blog, and wanted to let you know its great!! :) I noticed on your resolution, that you have losing weight, and wanted to recommend the food blog from self magazine: www.self.com/health/blogs/eatlikeme
It has some great tips, and follows a nutritionists' daily eating pattern. Its definately helped me out..:)
(p.s. I used to hate water too!! Try adding in some lemon, or drink some tea on the side...even those crystal light lemonade packets are great to have once in a while, considering they're 0 calories...they contain splenda, so I try not to drink TOO much of it, but it sure does break up the mundaneness of water...:) Good luck, and stick to eating well!! Its worth it and can be VERY tasty...:)
my biggest thing about water is at restaurants. i hate to order water instead of pop! So I've started ordering water with lemon and have grown to really love it! and it saves a lot of money if you and your dinner date drink it :) love you!
ash said pop.
dont drink too much water. theres water in everything you eat and drink, so take it easy. dont need to do the whole 8 cups a day thing.
i make awesome oatmeal. i eat it everyday. well i used to when i lived closer to trader joes. im sure you can figure out a way to make it to your liking.
you can do it!
way to go, aunt debby! stick to your goals! you CAN do it :) hehehe
<3
sabrina
sabrina's so cute :)
hey I blogged with pictures. thought you'd like to know :)
i updated for you. can i be back on your list?
Thoughtful resolutions! Honestly, I haven't done the resolution list thing in.... well I don't really remember when. But I do love the turn of a new year. I basically just try to start over on lots of stuff. I make lists at work, but I should do more of it for my personal life.
It really has been cool to see your blog. I'm glad you're keeping up with it more. You're right..it's not the same as personal contact, but it does help to feel closer and more connected.
Love you all!
pj
you go, girl! resolve away! i am a new years type of person - it's good to reflect and burn the chaff. :)
Post a Comment