With the girls' birthdays fresh in my mind, I've been thinking a lot about how much they have grown. It seems like just a couple of years ago that we went to meet Leah's social worker to hear about a little 3-year-old who was looking for a "forever family." After listening to him describe her and her background, he asked us if we were interested in meeting her. "Yes!" we answered without hesitation. It was then that he showed us this photo:
We could not believe our good fortune! What an adorable child! How could anyone neglect her? Look at those huge eyes! We were beside ourselves with joy. Less than two months later she was living with us. It took two long years before her adoption was final, but she was our daughter when we first saw her picture.
Of course, it hasn't been without its challenges. Leah didn't bond with us right away. She didn't understand what was happening to her. One time, out of the blue, she said, "It's almost time for me to go live with another family." We had lots of talks with her trying to explain how we were her forever family and she wouldn't ever leave us (for better or for worse). But she eventually settled in and became a real part of our family.
And look at her now! She has grown into an amazing teenager who never ceases to surprise and amaze us with her antics. No regrets!
Two years after Leah's adoption became final, Krista joined our family. We had requested a 4 to 6-year-old, but they'll always try to push the limits. Krista (or Angelina at the time) was barely two years old. We hesitated just a little, because we really wanted someone closer to Leah's age. But, we had given this whole adoption thing up to God, and who are we to question His wisdom. So, we met her and immediately fell in love. No turning back, we were hooked--again.
I have to admit, bonding with her was much easier, because she was such a cuddly little thing who loved to sit on my lap. "Up fay!" she would say in her cute little munchkin voice. I could never resist, and always picked her up. She and I would watch "Blue's Clues" and "Dora the Explorer" every day before nap time. She would insist she wasn't sleepy, but would inevitably fall asleep on my lap. So sweet and innocent.
This is a photo that her half brother sent to Ashley when she found him on MySpace. It is our only picture of Krista as a baby. It's such a crack up! I sure wish we had more baby photos of the girls.
And here she is at 10! Beautiful and smart, she's definitely going to be "somebody" when she grows up. No regrets!
I know I say this all the time, but. . .
I am definitely blessed.

5 comments:
you totally made me cry at work! :) i love those girls so much. i love that they are a part of our family
they are so cute!!! i HAD to laugh at leah's outfit in that first one, though. hehe.
I remember coming to visit you guys in Santa Clara (or San Jose, or wherever) and meeting Leah for the first time. I remember being all proud that I was one of the first of the Jinks side of the family to get to meet her! She was so cute! What happened? No, just kidding. She's prettier than ever!
sooo sweet, soooooooo sweet!
:) Sabrina
so, I added all the family blogs to the list. That should make dad happy. And I added my other blog link in the side bar. That should make you happy. I only have stayed up past my bedtime. But it will be worth it to get you off my back lol
I also changed the bg and header on my picture blog. I'm still trying to decide on a good theme for the happy depressing blog. Any ideas?
Post a Comment