Friday, January 25, 2008

no friend like an old friend

Marianne Burns and I have been friends ever since we worked together at Advanced Development Group back in the early 90s (back when she was Marianne Cherrier). I was so thrilled when she and Matt (her husband) moved up to the bay area after we did. Marianne even got a job at the same company where I was working (okay, I had a little something to do with that). Once she had her son, Danny, she quit her job to be a stay-at-home mom and I missed my BFAW (best friend at work). Now that we have moved back to San Diego, I miss her even more. She's one of those people who, no matter how long it's been since you've seen them, you just pick up where you left off with no awkwardness--just fun!

So each year, over the holidays, the Burns family comes down to San Diego, and we have game night! We used to play Trivial Pursuit, but ever since Cranium came out, that has been our game of choice. This year we played Turbo Cranium!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not competitive, -- what? I'm NOT! Winning is not that important to me. But I do have some ground rules when it comes to Cranium. No, really, winning doesn't matter to me, I swear!

Anyway, before the game starts, I lay out the all-important rules for my partner (with Marianne, it's just a refresher because we play this game all the time)--I don't hum and I don't draw. (but I will sculpt and I will do charades and spell). My partner has to agree to said rules before we start. They always do agree, though some are more reluctant than others, but hey, if they want to win, that's how it has to be. (Not that winning is important.)

Usually, we play at least two games, and sometimes we win one and the guys win won, but more often than not, we win both games. I can't remember a time when the guys won both games, but, it's not who wins or loses . . . No really, I don't care if I win or not!

Here are a few photos of our evening with the Burns family. I stole them off of Matt's blog because our photos didn't turn out. I thought it was so cute that he even took photos of our dogs!

OK, so here's Marianne drawing. I'm an excellent guesser. And she's an EXCELLENT drawer! We almost always get the cloodles right (even the ones where she has to close her eyes).

This task is new to Cranium. Someone has to be the puppet master and someone else has to be the puppet. If you only have two on a team, the puppet has to guess what the puppet master is having them do. Since I don't draw or hum, I agreed to be the puppet master. Here we are buttering toast and flipping pancakes and I don't remember the other thing, but Marianne guessed two out of three! Apparently, I'm also an excellent puppet master, but, whatever, it's just a game.







And here's Matt trying to act something out for Gene to guess.


Gene had no idea what Matt was acting out.

YES! But, whatever, it's just a game.

And it went on like this all evening. MARIANNE AND I WON BOTH GAMES!!! Woo hoo! But, it's really not about winning or losing, we just had a fun time. Of course, it is much more fun when I win, but, whatever!

Bristow and Bennett wanted in on the fun.


Dakota wasn't interested.


And the girls love seeing Danny, too! Poor Danny had to judge a dancing contest between Krista and Leah--a tough position to be in for sure! (I don't know who he picked--I never asked.)

Good times.

4 comments:

Ryan A. said...

that was a CLASSIC picture of dad. cracked me up.

even though you aren't im glad you won. its cause you don't choose data head.

freakin' data head...

me said...

that's funny, i always want to draw and hum :)

Anonymous said...

Not a competitive bone in my body either! Winning doesn't matter at all (we won, we won we won!!!YAY!!!!!!)

They ought to remove data head and humdinger and add a dance interpretation instead! Then I'll have the video camera ready for Matt & Gene! Tee-hee! Proud to be your "old" friend - Marianne

Patrick Jinks said...

Gene is the only one in these pictures who looks like he doesn't care about winning.