Growing up, I didn't ever learn to cook. For some reason, my mom only taught Carla (my older sister) to cook. My job was always either making the tea, making biscuits, or making a salad (with iceberg lettuce and tomatoes). Oh, sure, sometimes I had to make chili or something, but I didn't really cook. Carla actually enjoyed it, and was good at it. She grew up to be an excellent cook. I, on the other hand--yeah--never really got it.
Ashley and Ryan grew up on Kraft macaroni and cheese, chili, and spaghetti--with salad, of course. It was always funny to see their plates at a pot luck dinner. Two beans, one piece of lettuce, one piece of corn--you get the picture. Pathetic!
So, now that I like more foods, I'm trying very hard to teach Leah and Krista to enjoy more and I'm hoping to teach them to cook. It's really difficult with school and everything else, but I'm trying.
Last week, on Ryan's birthday, we celebrated (without Ryan) by going to Dream Dinners again. Jeanne-Marie has made it a monthly event for our small group, and it's a great way to see friends and prepare dinners ahead of time for a great price. This time, Gene and the girls came with me, which made it much easier to get everything done. I think it's also a great way to get the girls exposed to cooking. I am having them pick out what they want for dinner the next day and then they have to help prepare it, too. Hopefully, they will be more prepared than I was (or than I taught Ashley and Ryan to be) when they grow up.
Here are a few photos from the evening.
Josh started in on teasing the girls right away--picking right up where he left off last time he saw them--they love it!
Problems on the first recipe. There were no pearl onions at the station we were working at, and we needed it for our recipe, that's why I'm raising my hand for help.
Jeanne-Marie and meGene getting instructions from the owner
Leah and Krista taking a break. Their favorite part of the evening was the cookies, which were fantastic.
Jeanne-Marie working hard.
Valerie and Amy
Josh concentrating on his recipe
Amy striking a poseGood times!







3 comments:
wow Mom, I am so impressed with all the pictures you are not only having taken but actually sharing of yourself! I am so proud of you mom and I honestly think you look beautiful! There's no way you're getting close to 50.
That's so funny about the potluck thing. And you're right that is totally what we grew up and even though I am a pretty decent cook and love to cook, I am constantly finding myself just going to those main staples because it's what I'm used to. However the girls are not so thrilled with it.
This past weekend when we went to a buffet for lunch jenna's first plate that she came to the table with consisted of a heaping helping of broccoli, corn and some mac and cheese. Then she went back and got a salad. Then she had dessert. I ate about half a plate of salad and two cheeseburgers, no dessert lol. only cause sweets are totally turning my off right now, they make me gag.
uncle gene looks good w the goat... tell everyone i said hi. miss and love you guys!
adam
Post a Comment